- Enjoy our services!
- Forgot your password?
Browse by Category
- 55+ Communities
- Active 55 Communities Types
- Active Adult Communities
- Affordable Retirement Communities
- City Retirement Living
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities
- Find 55+ Builders & Agents
- Find Assisted Living Homes
- Homes 55+ Friendly
- Independent Senior Living
- Moving & Storage For the 55+ Seniors
- Retirement Resort Homes
- Retirement Services
- Senior Apartments
- Senior Centers
- Senior Homes
- Senior Housing
- Senior Housing Consultants
- Seniors Real Estate Specialist
- Skilled Nursing Homes and Facilities
- Small Town Living
- Vacation & Second Homes
55+ Communities by State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington State
- West Virginia
55+ Retirement Communities andThe site search box at top left of this page is a good place to start, just put in a city or state and term then press search site. Also links are in the left column but here are the detail links for 55+ Communities Listings or 55+ Homes or 55+ Rentals. These are separate databases so check all three.
55 Homes for Sale or Rent
Featured 55+ Communities
Featured 55+ Homes for Rent
Featured 55+ Homes for Sale
Articles About Retirement Living
- » Why Retire to the Mid Atlantic regionEnjoy living in the culturally rich Mid-Atlantic region with a middle of the road climate and easy access to the nation's richest ... 55+ Article
- » Master Planned Communities For Active AdultsRetirement living is changing drastically – these days you’re more likely to see residents zooming by on motorized golf carts ... 55+ Article
- » How Active Are Active Adult Communities?Many people want to know how active are you expected to be in an active adult community?... 55+ Article
- » Central Florida is a retirement dream!Florida is still one of the best places to retire because of the low cost of living and no state income taxes. Orlando has the be... 55+ Article
- » Active Adult Communities - What and Why?What are Active Adult Retirement Communities and why is it one of the fastest growing segments of the housing market?... 55+ Article
- » College Towns May Be Best Place to RetireWhy retire to a college town? There a lots of reasons, explore them in this retirement article.... 55+ Article
- » Aging at Home Assumptions Questioned by ReportA recent report released by Comfort Life Media calls into question the widely held assumption that aging at home is preferable to ... 55+ Article
- » New Retirement CommunitiesA new home in a new 55 plus retirement community has many advantages. We list some here. ... 55+ Article
- » Continuing Care Retirement CommunitiesA Common Sense Housing Solution for Seniors - CCRC or Continuing Care Retirement Communities are worth a look.... 55+ Article
- » Senior Apartments Becoming PopularRenting a senior apartment may be the way to go in this uncertain economy. Senior apartments term is trending up.... 55+ Article
55 Communities Explained
Generally refers to all sorts of 55 communities geared towards those of us who are age 55 and over and able to live independently on our own but there is also a legal definition age restricted or age-qualified 55 communities. Generally age restricted by law to those who are age 55 and over. Most 55 communities have opportunities for activities and many have an activities center or clubhouse. These activities help keep people active and engaged with many programs of exercise, lifelong learning, clubs and socialization opportunities, thus the name active adult community.
Types of 55 Communities
Active Adult Communities – Del Webb stared this concept with Sun City and the activities center and active adult lifestyle. These days active adult communities are being developed in all sections of the county, not just the warmer climates. Usually homes are individually owned just like any subdivision. These are usually age-qualified for age 55 and over.
Senior Communities are for age 62 and over who can live independently.
There are so many other various and interesting types of housing arrangements. The Golden Girls Housing Arrangement appeals to single boomer women. College town retirement is for boomers who want a young and vibrant atmosphere and the educational and cultural offerings that retiring in a college town can offer and a number of 55 communities are being built there.
Then there are RV condo properties which are popular in Florida and out West. Luxury hi-rise condos and mixed multi-use real estate developments for exciting city living are available. Manufactured and modular homes offers affordable housing and are surprisingly nice. Yes, many of these are over 55 communities also.Other 55 communities include resort, golf, water and lakefront, 55 condos, rural homes for small town living and 55 friendly communities that are not solely age-qualified but appeal to many retirees.
The 55 community that Del Webb developed in to a lifestyle community concept is increasing poplar with baby boomers who are excited about enjoying a new stage of their life.
As you can see, there are exciting options for future living arrangements, so use this site to research then get out and start visiting some properties!
55+ Homes For Sale or RentThere are home rentals in 55 communities, an age qualified property or just a house that would be a great retirement home for you. These most likely are single family homes but can be condos, villas or apartments. We have expanded and upgraded our sections for home rentals and for homes for sale (linked at the top of this page). These are individual listings offered by realtor agents, homeowners or managers and are completely different from the community listings, so look in both sections.